about glibc performance

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar@gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:56:00 GMT 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 09:08, Carlos O'Donell <codonell@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/21/19 11:20 PM, Jimmie wrote:
> > Hi, For serveral days, I did some test  about the memory performance
> > of glibc(2.17) and tcmalloc(gperformance 2.7), and my test results
> > indicate that glibc is more efficient then tcmalloc. generally,
> > people think tcmalloc is efficient than glibc 2.3, but I use glibc
> > 2.17, so I wonder if glibc 2.17 did some improvement on memory
> > performance. looking forward to your reply, thank you.
>
> There were no changes in 2.17 which improved malloc performance.

Actually, there were performance improvements to malloc between 2.3
and 2.17, primarily the per-thread allocator that greatly reduced
contention for multi-threaded applications.  I've argued in the past
that the per-thread allocator should bring performance of a number of
applications on par if not better than tcmalloc/jemalloc, but I never
did a formal run and so never wrote a formal rebuttal of the tcmalloc
claims.  If you've done formal tests, please do publish them!

Siddhesh
--
https://siddhesh.in