statx struct's stx_size pointer compatibility with uint64_t/size_t

Dominique Martinet asmadeus@codewreck.org
Tue Dec 17 15:12:00 GMT 2019

Florian Weimer wrote on Tue, Dec 17, 2019:
> We do not want to duplicate kernel headers too much because it causes
> problems if both glibc headers and kernel headers are included in the
> same translation unit.  That in turn makes it difficult to use new
> kernel features by only updating the kernel headers.

Agreed here, we would want to keep the structures compatible anyway.

> I do not know why the kernel definition of __u64 does not follow that of
> uint64_t in <stdint.h> (or why we even have that __u64 type), and
> whether the kernel definition can be changed at this point.  We can fix
> this issue with preprocessor magic, but I am not entirely sure if this
> is a good idea.
>
> If you want, you could bring this up on some kernel lists (at least
> linux-api), and Cc: libc-alpha, or can do that for you.

Ok, I will send a follow-up to these two lists (and drop libc-help) with
content similar to my initial post.

Thank you for the fast reply!
--
Dominique