getaddrinfo chokes at hostnames containing "emoji" characters

Name Surname augeus@outlook.com
Wed May 16 08:40:00 GMT 2018

Greetings everyone.

I recently bought a domain name containing "emoji" characters, as a
novelty and in order to do some experiments. I tried getting the IP
address associated to it using getaddrinfo, however, it errs and returns
"Name or service not known". The same thing happens with any program
that uses glibc for name resolution. I understand that emoji domains are
not valid according to IDNA2008, however, some ccTLDs sell them, they
were supported according to IDNA2003, and web browsers resolve them
normally according to IDNA2003 (at least firefox does).

Is this a bug or a feature?

Should you want to experiment, a example valid emoji domain name is "📙.la".