glibc 2.25 error during install

Jeffrey Walton noloader@gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 05:31:00 GMT 2018

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Leo Butler <leobutler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to provide some closure to this issue, I want to report back that
> 'makeinfo' isn't the true makeinfo at the time that installation of glibc
> is initiated in Gentoo Prefix. I suspect the presence of this script is a
> bootstrapping compromise that needs to be improved upon, as later in the
> flow it becomes a symlink to a perl script called 'texi2any' from package
> sys-apps/texinfo.

Forcing users to build docs and making them do stupid tricks like
MAKEINFO = true is an absolute waste of time and energy. I've got a
half a dozen dev-boards and gadgets used for testing. Some of the
boards don't have storage space for the tools or the docs. I am
constantly patching configure scripts to get rid of the docs.

The Configure scripts need to be fixed and stop trying to build docs
if the doc tools are not installed. If the tools are installed then
build them with an --enable-XXX just like any other feature.

Jeff