Understanding why getaddrinfo_a and __gai_enqueue_request use recursive locks

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Mon Sep 25 19:06:00 GMT 2017

On 09/25/2017 11:23 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

> carlos@redhat.com said:
>> * Look to see if have a reasonable test that exercises this code path,
>>   and if not add one (I think there are tests already that cover this
>>   area of code).
>
> Are there any tools that scan source code to check for this sort of thing?
>
> I think you would need a way to annotate helper functions as needing a lock
> and specify the lock.  It may also take annotations in the caller function.

For glibc you can't use gcov (since some of the pieces of dependent functionality
are implemented by glibc), but you can use perf e.g. perf record, perf report.
That way you can get coverage.