determine whether code is running in a signal handler context
Jeffrey Walton
noloader@gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 07:10:00 GMT 2017
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Yubin Ruan <ablacktshirt@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2017-10-19 11:12 GMT+08:00 Sean Conner <sean@conman.org>:
>> ...
>> Wouldn't it be easier (and safer) just to document the library as
>> not-async-signal-safe ("These functions, called from a signal handler, will
>> invoke undefined behavior")? Use a large font if you have to, but I think
>> protecting programmers from themselves over the long term is bad.
>
> Yes I can document that and that is indeed an option. But I don't know
> whether the user will read the docs. ;-)
>
> It would be great if we can handle that smoothly such that users will
> not notice.
If RTFM was going to work, then it would have happened in the last 50
years or so.
You're applying solid engineering techniques. I encourage you to stay
the course.
Jeff
More information about the Libc-help
mailing list