Why is getentropy marked with warn_unused_result?

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Fri Jul 28 00:12:00 GMT 2017

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017, Florian Weimer wrote:

> I'm still open to implementing emulation within glibc if problems like
> these convince the glibc community that this is necessary.

I don't object to a straightforward emulation that opens /dev/urandom with
O_CLOEXEC, does the read and closes the file, each time getentropy is
called (if __NR_getrandom is not defined, or if the getrandom syscall
returns an ENOSYS error).  The argument for emulation in getentropy is
stronger than that for emulating the lower-level getrandom interface.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com