LD_PROFILE error

Daniel Nowak daniel.nowak@ieee.org
Wed Jan 11 11:02:00 GMT 2017

I'd like to profile a shared library without overhead associated with
valgrind (since the library is part of a networked application that
ought to run real-time). It seems sprof is the right tool for this, so
I execute "LD_PROFILE=PATH_TO/lib_to_profile.so $(which
application_that_uses_the_lib)". However, I get an error in this
format:

[application]: no PLTREL found in object [library used by application
but not by library to be profiled]

This message is generated in glibc source file dl-reloc.c and I assume
members of this list can help me understand what I can do about this
situation. I don't intend to rebuild existing libraries on my system
used by application but not by the shared library I want to debug. Is
this error generated by a bug?

Thank you