How to use sem_timedwait with CLOCK_MONOTONIC?

Carlos O'Donell carlos@systemhalted.org
Mon Feb 20 01:24:00 GMT 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Alexandre BIQUE
<bique.alexandre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Carlos,
>
> While looking into the changes, I wondered if it would not make sense to
> get such API into a POSIX or SUS standard first?
>
> If yes, how to?

It is _much_ harder to get a change into the standard. The standards
are technically "trailing standards" for a lot of the new work. What
that means is that new interfaces are defined and used and eventually
make their way into the standards body.

However, it does certainly make life easier if everyone agrees to the
interface before you implement it.

To get the API into POSIX would require working with the Austin Group.
This is going to be a lot of work, text drafting, writing, review, and
convincing. So prepare yourself accordingly:

http://www.opengroup.org/austin/

You could start with:
(a) File a bug with the austin group to describe the new interface and
what the text would say.
(b) Discuss the issue with the austin group and possibly attend a
meeting to talk about it.

The key thing to remember is to enjoy the process and to be persistent
given your good ideas :-)