Standards Cleanup

Rical Jasan ricaljasan@pacific.net
Sat Oct 22 08:12:00 GMT 2016

er, what is this "Summary of Library Facilities" I always forget to look
at?  :\

After a series of attempts to make things look (and work) nice, I'm
realizing Texinfo isn't sufficient to do what we need.  The very first
thing I did, though, was make everything look like:

  @comment header.h
  @comment standard
  @def|item|...

As a consequence, when I finally went and looked at the Summary, that
more or less "fixed" it, since I was using what appeared to be a loose
convention.

So, should I just leave it at that and move on to the work of vetting
the standards?  There are a lot of "???" entries, from where I couldn't
glean the appropriate standard from a quick survey or guess it from
context.  I don't really like the idea of "???" showing up in the
manual, but it's a start, I suppose.

I'd also be inclined to make the summary script start enforcing
consistency.  We could make the @comment annotation syntax a little more
well-defined, by using a form like:

  @comment HEADERS header.h[, ...]
  @comment STANDARDS standard|ftm-exp
  @def|...

I have a few other thoughts, but is there a better place for general
discussion like this?  I hate to think on the mailing list and it'd be
nice to talk a little less formally about all this.  I know there's an
IRC channel, if that's more appropriate.  If it works, I can make a
point to be there when it's convenient.

Thanks,
Rical