Specification of ELF symbol versioning

Carlos O'Donell carlos@systemhalted.org
Sun Oct 9 17:46:00 GMT 2016

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> There is this document:
>
>   <https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/symbol-versioning>
>
> But it has a few obvious issues: “vna_other” is not unused, as
> indicated in the comment, and “vn_name” is mentioned but never defined
> (perhaps “vn_file” is meant instead).
>
> Is there a better document which described which is or should be
> implemented in the static and dynamic linker?

No.

Unless you count the document that will be written by you and I in the
future? ;-)

Although the GNU symbol versioning is based on Solaris symbol
versioning it extends it in several ways.

We should work to document this bit-by-bit as much as we can, probably
starting with checking in an internals document in txt under doc/ like
the kernel does.