More on SIGINT, longjmp, and getaddrinfo
Hal Murray
hmurray@megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 22 01:40:00 GMT 2016
I'm still scheming for a good solution.
I think the basic problem is that getaddrinfo can take a long time on a human
scale. Many/most other routines that might take a while return EINTR when
interrupted by a signal rather than continue waiting.
Are there routines in libc and/or POSIX other than DNS lookup that don't
return promptly when interrupted by a signal? How widespread is this problem?
What is the worst cast time for getaddrinfo or getnameinfo to return? I
assume the really nasty case would involve several retransmissions on each of
several different steps so the worst case could be horribly long. How about
an estimate for a simple dead-server case? Is there a limit on the number of
steps? ...
Are there any test case names or addresses that are guaranteed to timeout?
That seems like something that would be handy for regression testing so there
might be an RFC describing a reserved name.
--
These are my opinions. I hate spam.
More information about the Libc-help
mailing list