Forcing BIND_NOW for a symbol

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 08:12:00 GMT 2016

On 04/27/2016 09:00 PM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

> Right I did not take in consideration the fallback implementation may
> fail where it should not.  However I do see that if a process calls the
> fallback implementation and it fails due lack of file descriptors,
> moving it earlier on ifunc resolution won't help much since it will
> fail later (probably in previous open operation before the fallback
> call).

The idea is to allocate resources for emulation during process start-up,
before the process hits its limits (or performs chroot).

> I am just bike-shedding here because I am kind sceptical that providing
> a BIND_NOW for a simbol (and all the required logic in linker and libc)
> justifies for the specific issue in question.

As I said, we could also scan for .gnu.version_r if these functions had
a special version string.  We already do that during process startup, so
we do not have to rely on something BIND_NOW.

Florian