Question regarding pwritev/preadv ports

Ben ben@wijen.net
Thu Sep 10 17:25:00 GMT 2015

Hi Mike,

Let me rephrase:
Given the set of all platforms libc supports,
I would like to know for which platforms the posix emulation is used?
And for bonus: Which of these do have __NR_pwritev? (So pwritev as syscall?)

For example:
If I am not mistaken, for some time the arm platform did have
the pwritev syscall, but still used the posix emulation.
For such a platform I want to use my own 'non-atomic' version.
Furthermore:
I simple don't understand why there are 3 different implementations:
1: (off_t) ((((uint64_t) (val)) >> (sizeof (long) * 4)) >> (sizeof (long) * 4))
2: __LONG_LONG_PAIR (offset >> 31, offset));
3: __LONG_LONG_PAIR ((off_t) (offset >> 32), (off_t) (offset & 0xffffffff)));

I would really like to understand the 'why' of these...
Thank you,

Ben...