Domains aliased to a pool of IP addresses doesn't get resolved

Yuri Kanivetsky yuri.kanivetsky@gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:31:00 GMT 2015

Hi,

Things are getting clearer and clearer. I reproduce it on vagrant
boxes (prepackaged VMs), because they have 10.0.2.3 in their
/etc/resolv.conf. Which is virtualbox's DNS server:

    > In NAT mode, the guest network interface is assigned to the IPv4
range 10.0.x.0/24 by default where x corresponds to the instance of
the NAT interface +2. So x is 2 when there is only one NAT instance
active. In that case the guest is assigned to the address 10.0.2.15,
the gateway is set to 10.0.2.2 and the name server can be found at
10.0.2.3.

    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#idp45859075557440

But on other interesting page we find:

    > The NAT engine by default offers the same DNS servers to the
guest that are configured on the host. In some scenarios, it can be
desirable to hide the DNS server IPs from the guest, for example when
this information can change on the host due to expiring DHCP leases.
In this case, you can tell the NAT engine to act as DNS proxy using
the following command

    http://serverfault.com/questions/453185/vagrant-virtualbox-dns-10-0-2-3-not-working

And there's also a way to use host's resolver as a DNS proxy.

So, it must be virtualbox's dns server at fault.