Is it possible to build ld.so alone?

Arjun Shankar arjun.is@lostca.se
Thu Nov 12 14:40:00 GMT 2015


Hi!

> Hi! I changed some code of dynamic linker(ld.so), and I want to build
> and debug it. I find it extremely costly to build the entire glibc, so
> I'm looking forward to build it alone. But the makefiles are so
> complicated that I can't figure it out. Is that any possible way to do
> that?

I just built glibc, then touched a bunch of 'dl-*' files and rtld.c in the
elf/ subdirectory and ran `make -j2' to rebuild only the relevant bits, and
it finished in < 30 seconds on my machine (Nothing fancy. It is a three year
old laptop with an Intel Core CPU).

I don't really hack on glibc (except the occasional test patch or something
small), so I don't know if this simulates modifying the loader and
rebuilding. But I think it should. Does it?

Cheers,
Arjun



More information about the Libc-help mailing list