Shared libgcc instead of static

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Tue Nov 3 02:38:00 GMT 2015

On 31 Oct 2015 22:20, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> I'm having some fun trying to create a linux system that uses shared
> libraries as much as possible, trying to avoid static ones.
> glibc will fail without libgcc.a - even if libgcc.so is available. Is
> there a technical reason for that?

i'm assuming you don't actually mean "libgcc.so" but instead "libgcc_s.so".
in which case you're assuming that libgcc_s.so has exactly the same set of
exported functions as libgcc.a when that is not the case.  some symbols are
only provided by libgcc.a.  these often come down to trade-offs in how the
ABI is implemented.

you'll see the same thing if you try to (incorrectly) delete glibc's
libc_nonshared.a file.  or the crt .o files that gcc & glibc provide.
-mike