Question: short-read while loading .so file

Ángel González keisial@gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:41:00 GMT 2015

On 09/06/15 19:03, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
> I asked the following question to binutils mailing list first
> and was advised to post it to libc-alpha. I misunderstood that dynamic
> Here it goes. The behavior was observed under Debian GNU/Linux.
(...)
> While testing how mozilla thunderbird handles "short read", i.e.,
> a |read| system call that returns prematurely without returning all the
> octets (subsequent |read|(s) will return the octets eventually),

(...)
> BTW, such "short read" can occur with remote file system when there is a
> network issue, etc. Usually, local file system does not cause "short
> read", but once we go across the net, anything can happen.)

Note that Linux kernel guarantees that you won't receive a partial read
for a
"normal" file (although a custom filesystem could return that, as you
point out),
so an application developer might claim that such environment isn't
supported.
See http://yarchive.net/comp/linux/wakekill.html#4