PowerPC e6500 optimized memcmp function - Query

Dharmakan Rohit Arul Raj rohitarulraj@freescale.com
Wed Jul 22 10:25:00 GMT 2015

Hello All,

I have added an optimized PowerPC e6500 library (memcmp) to glibc v2.20 sources and I need some clarification regarding multi-arch support.
The patch works if configured with --disable-multi-arch. But for default build, since multi-arch support is enabled by default, I get this error.

eglibc/opt/freescale/XLMe6500-test/obj_glibc_1_scratch/libc_pic.a(memcmp-ppc64.os):(.opd+0x0): multiple definition of `__GI_memcmp'
eglibc/opt/freescale/XLMe6500-test/obj_glibc_1_scratch/libc_pic.a(memcmp.os):(.opd+0x0): first defined here

As of now, we don't have any intention to add multi-arch support, so wanted to know the criteria to submit this patch to FSF.
Can I add this flag [--disable-multi-arch] by default for our target or should I try to resolve these multiple definition errors?

Please let me know your comments.

Regards,
Rohit