glibc 2.20 make install

Carlos O'Donell carlos@systemhalted.org
Wed Oct 15 12:09:00 GMT 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de> wrote:
> I remember reading that upgrading glibc with make install is not a good idea
> or "not supported". What is the correct way of upgrading glibc?

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_install_all_of_the_GNU_C_Library_project_libraries_that_I_just_built.3F

Just wrote this up. Please tell me if it answers your question.

> make install worked for me so far as some basic tools like rm, mv and ln are
> static. But when upgrading from glibc 2.17 to glibc 2.20, I had to use a
> statically linked msgfmt and I had to revert this change from the Changelog:
>
>    * Makerules (make-shlib-link): Use rellns-sh to get relative name
>
> I hope that either there is an easy way to avoid such problems or that the
> developers try to keep "make install" simple - so that it can be used for
> upgrading. It has worked for me for many years.

You can't do that. You need to install to a temporary directory, and
then use a static application move everything into place (or
relatively static image that doesn't exec new processes during
operation).