Memory consumption of iconv

Dirk Bächle tshortik@gmx.de
Fri Mar 21 15:57:00 GMT 2014

Hi Oliver,

On 21.03.2014 12:53, Oliver Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a server software which spawns up to thousands of client
> processes which use iconv_open (through Qt) to later transform strings between
> different encodings. This works like a charm of course but after a while I
> recognized that every process used about 1MB (non shared) memory for the iconv
> data.
> This allone is not that much but If you multiply it by the number of child
> processes, I get a huge size of multiple GB. If you take into account that I
> use the same locales in every child process this is not easy to understand.

I've opened a related thread for the build system SCons, see

   https://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2014-01/msg00038.html

. Seems that we both suffer from the same behaviour (all memory of the
parent process gets copied for a spawned child), so I'm very interested
in any answers you get. ;)

Best regards,

Dirk