Ericsson question about glibc 2.19 compatibility and RHEL 6.5.

Francesco Leone francesco.leone@ericsson.com
Fri Mar 14 14:52:00 GMT 2014

Thanks Ryan for your support
It's clear

Francesco

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Arnold [mailto:ryan.arnold@linaro.org]
Sent: venerdì 14 marzo 2014 15:51
To: Francesco Leone
Cc: libc-help@sourceware.org; IMSOmegaTeam (TEI)
Subject: Re: Ericsson question about glibc 2.19 compatibility and RHEL 6.5.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Francesco Leone <francesco.leone@ericsson.com> wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> In our product we are going to introduce  RHEL 6.5 and the new version
> of GNU C Library, glibc 2.19.
>
>  My questions are:
>
>  1) Is glibc 2.19 compatible with  RHEL 6.5 distribution?
>
>  2) Is glibc 2.19 compatible with java 1.7?
>

> Looking forward an early reply

Francesco,

If your product is to run on a pristine RHEL 6.5, I believe that the version of glibc you need to link against is glibc 2.12.

This means that if you're building a toolchain that is designed to run binaries on RHEL 6.5, you need to make sure your toolchain sysroot doesn't have a glibc version that exceeds the version on RHEL 6.5.

Otherwise; you'll get lots of runtime errors where the loader (dynamic
linker) can't find the proper versioned symbols because the system glibc is older than what was linked against (for instance if your sysroot had GLIBC 2.19).

I don't know about Java compatibility with glibc 2.19.

--
Ryan S. Arnold
Linaro Toolchain Working Group