glibc 2.18/2.17 compatibility

Allin Cottrell cottrell@wfu.edu
Fri Aug 30 18:21:00 GMT 2013

This is a follow-up to my posting of August 19,
http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2013-08/msg00036.html

I had reported that various programs that ran OK under glibc 2.17 started
segfaulting under 2.18, and so I dropped back to 2.17.

I have now tried the experiment of reinstalling version 2.18 and
recompiling the programs that were failing, namely the gvfs daemons
gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor and gvfsd-trash (from gvfs-1.16.3) and xfdesktop
(from Xfce 4.10). Now these programs run OK. Is it possible there's some
subtle ABI incompatibility between these two glibc versions?

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics