tst-getaddrinfo4 failure with glibc-2.18

Allin Cottrell cottrell@wfu.edu
Wed Aug 14 20:12:00 GMT 2013

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@wfu.edu> wrote:
>> I've just built glibc-2.18 on an i686 system with gcc-4.8.1. Under "make
>> check" I'm getting a failure on tst-getaddrinfo4, and I'm wondering if
>> that's anything to get excited about.
>>
>> The file tst-getaddrinfo4.out reads as follows:
>>
>> SUCCESS getaddrinfo(service=NULL, family=0, flags=0): Unknown error: Success
>> SUCCESS getaddrinfo(service=NULL, family=0, flags=32): Unknown error:
>> Success
>> SUCCESS getaddrinfo(service=NULL, family=2, flags=0): Unknown error: Success
>> SUCCESS getaddrinfo(service=NULL, family=10, flags=0): Unknown error:
>> Success
>> FAIL getaddrinfo(service=http, family=0, flags=0): Servname not supported
>> for ai_socktype: Success
>> FAIL getaddrinfo(service=http, family=0, flags=32): Servname not supported
>> for ai_socktype: Success
>> FAIL getaddrinfo(service=http, family=2, flags=0): Servname not supported
>> for ai_socktype: Success
>> FAIL getaddrinfo(service=http, family=10, flags=0): Servname not supported
>> for ai_socktype: Success
>
> Any failure is something to get excited about. An i686 build should
> have no failures in the testsuite.
>
> You'll have to dig into the test to see exactly what it expects and
> what is failing.

Can you suggest a place to start digging? I've tried googling the
error message + glibc:

Servname not supported for ai_socktype glibc

This turns up a fair number of messages from 2004, notably
http://sourceware.org/ml/glibc-bugs/2004-08/msg00202.html ,
but nothing relevant AFAICT from more recently.

Allin Cottrell