strtoul(-1) discussion

Carlos O'Donell carlos@systemhalted.org
Mon Apr 15 13:58:00 GMT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/2013 06:24 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>> I would be more than happy to review a patch to enhance the manual
>> to discuss the porting issue and that glibc's strtoul doesn't conform
>> with the standards.
>

> Is this really true?  I was under the impression that for historic reasons,
> the standards require that both strtoul and the %u conversion specifier
> accept negative values.
>
> What do other systems do?

Could you please read Fabrice's original post and comment on that?
It's far more detailed than my single line summary and we can discuss
that point by point. Fabrice does give some examples of what other
systems do, but if you'd like more please ask Fabrice to reach out and
get more examples.

Cheers,
Carlos.