Minimal set of locale related files needed for gettext to work in an intramfs

Didier Spaier didier.spaier@epsm.fr
Sun Oct 28 06:44:00 GMT 2012

On 28/10/2012 01:04, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> I use gettexet to localize the shell scripts. This works on the
>> installed distribution, with glibc installed of course.
>>
>> But I should add as less files as possible to the installer in order
>> not to increase significantly its size, as it has to be loaded into
>> RAM.
>
> Doesn't /usr/bin/gettext.sh come from the gettext project[1] rather
> than libc?
>
> For what it's worth, here's a minimal set of files from that project
> used to support translated shell scripts: [2].  You might also want to
> have a locale installed: [3].
>
> Hope that helps,
> Jonathan
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/
> [2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/gettext-base/filelist
> [3] http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/locales/filelist

Thanks for your answer, Jonathan, which shows I was not clear enough.

I have no problem with gettext itself, the gettext-runtime part of it will be included in the installer.

My question is more: which part of glibc (if any) do I need to put on the installer in addition to gettext to:
(1) Properly display the messages (shell scripts' output) on the console (Chinese ideographs for instance) during the installation.
(2) Properly display the characters typed at the console by the user, still during installation.

I ask this question because I can't include the whole glibc in the installer, it's too heavy, so I am looking for the 'minimum set of files needed from glibc'

It's for a Linux system (Slackware to name it) and I assume that I can restrict the encoding(s) to utf-8.