Minimal set of locale related files needed for gettext to work in an intramfs

Didier Spaier didier.spaier@epsm.fr
Sat Oct 27 22:53:00 GMT 2012


I want to localize the shell scripts included in a distribution's installer (an initramfs), so that every user sees the messages from the installer in his or her native language.

I use gettexet to localize the shell scripts. This works on the installed distribution, with glibc installed of course.

But I should add as less files as possible to the installer in order not to increase significantly its size, as it has to be loaded into RAM.

I can restrict allowed charsets to utf-8 at time of installation if that minimize the payload.

Which set of files from glibc should I include in the installer for this to work?

Of course I only need these files for run-time translation, all necessary mo files being already included in the installer.

TIA for your answers, any pointer to on-spot documentation appreciated.

Didier Spaier



More information about the Libc-help mailing list