deadlock in __lll_lock_wait() @ /lib64/libpthread.so.0

Carlos O'Donell carlos@systemhalted.org
Thu Nov 15 22:03:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Paweł Sikora <pluto@agmk.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm playing with some EDA simulator which loads dynamically (via dlopen) my plugin.
> during plugin initialization (global ctors) it deadlocks on the __lll_lock_wait.
> i'm observing this issue on RHEL-5/CentOS-5 with glibc-2.5-58.el5_6.4.
> is it a known bug on the 2.5 branch?

That was released 7 years ago. I don't remember anything from that
time period :-)

> btw, i can workaround this issue with -Wl,-z,now linking flag to avoid lazy
> symbol binding but i'd like to avoid this way if possible.

Why do you assume it's a glibc bug?

It will always deadlock in ___lll_lock_wait for any deadlock since that's the
lowest level function for the locking implementation.

At this point it is either an application bug or a glibc bug, but I see nothing
in the gdb stack traces that points either way.

You'll need to debug more to find out.