NPTL not properly cleaning up threads on SMP systems?

Thibaut Girka thib@sitedethib.com
Fri Jun 1 20:32:00 GMT 2012


Hi,

I've recently tried to build eglibc from Debian's source package,
but it aborted because of a failed test[1]: nptl/tst-eintr1.
This test failed because one of the pthread_create calls returned EAGAIN.
Indeed, after some time, instead of 12~23 threads,
“grep Threads /proc/$PID/status” reveals much more threads (up to several thousands).

I've attached a simpler testcase that triggers the same issue,
which I have been able to reproduce using a freshly-built glibc from GIT.

I haven't observed this issue on single-processor systems
(ran the test on a dedicated user with a RLIMIT_NPROC of NB_THREADS + 3 for hours without getting EAGAIN).

Regards,
Thibaut Girka.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: test.c
Type: text/x-csrc
Size: 1099 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-help/attachments/20120601/2ccf4b36/attachment.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-help/attachments/20120601/2ccf4b36/attachment.sig>


More information about the Libc-help mailing list