Can I compile with MMX and SSE/SSE2 instruction sets ?

Timothy Madden terminatorul@gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 00:32:00 GMT 2012

On 06/26/2012 11:30 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 6/26/2012 4:13 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
>> On 06/24/2012 08:09 PM, Nix wrote:
>>> On 24 Jun 2012, Carlos O'Donell outgrape:

>>> This certainly used to be the expected, nay, mandated way to install (in
>>> the FAQ and elsewhere). If you haven't reread the documentation since
>>> glibc-2.15 (when DESTDIR started working), you won't have noticed this
>>> change. I know I didn't until just now.
>>>

>> I read about install_root in the INSTALL file in the glibc-2.15 source package that I downloaded.
>
> Aha! Thanks, you've found a place that should be updated.
>
> Could you please file a bug for this and we'll get it fixed?
>
> We need to decide if we want to fix install_root for all the
> users that are already expecting it to work.

Well the only "bug" I see is a documentation bug: the INSTALL file
should clearly specify that install_root=/dirname necessarily must come
after the `make` command on the command line.

Without this detail, I user like me that is willing to try the library
may unintentionally get the library installed into the system. It is my
opinion that this is not good.

I tried to point this out in another message on this thread, but people
seem fine with the way the INSTALL is written now.

By the way, I recompiled the glibc 2.15 source package from the
Slackware-current distribution, with all the machine-specific flags I
mentioned inserted into the build script, and it as of now running
nicely into my system, with the minimum supported kernel version 3.4.3,
and specially tuned for my CPU. But the Slackware package adds a *lot*
of patches, so I guess you would not be too much interested in it.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden