Multiple definition of __libc_multiple_libcs

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Sun Apr 22 15:34:00 GMT 2012

On Saturday 21 April 2012 23:19:23 P. J. McDermott wrote:
> Trying to cross build EGLIBC 2.15

again, same answer as before -- we can't keep track of all the patches that
are in there different from glibc-2.15.  why don't you just use glibc instead ?

>   arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi-gcc   -nostdlib -nostartfiles -r -o <build
>   >/elf/librtld.map.o '-Wl,-(' <build>/elf/dl-allobjs.os <build>/libc_pi
>   c.a -lgcc '-Wl,-)' -Wl,-Map,<build>/elf/librtld.mapT
>   <build>/libc_pic.a(init-first.os):(.data+0x0): multiple definition of
>   `__libc_multiple_libcs'
>   <build>/elf/dl-allobjs.os:(.bss+0x9c): first defined here
>   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

this is a generic error.  you should look at the .map file produced and trace
back why the extra objects are getting included.  i'm not aware of an easier
way than that.  some common reasons are the toolchain implicitly enables SSP
or other hardened options that end up causing more objects than normal to get
pulled in.
-mike