How is ld-linux.so.2 [re]located?

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Tue Mar 22 14:13:00 GMT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Tom Brown wrote:
> I've done some googling, and found others with the same problem, but no
> solution. Does anyone have any idea how I can persuade the 2.96 version of
> the tools to generate an executable that loads
> /opt/gcc-2.96/lib/ld-linux.so.2, instead of /lib/ld-linux.so.2?

the interp path is hardcoded in the binary because the kernel needs
it, and userspace cant specify a search path.
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Tips_and_Tricks/Loader_Tips_and_Tricks

so manually specify the path yourself.  move the binary from "xxx" to
"xxx.bin", and put a wrapper script at "xxx" which does:
#!/bin/sh
/path/to/other/interp --library-path otherlibdirs "$0.bin" "$@"

you can see an example here:
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Testing/Builds