Help for graduate research - how are NLTP routines implemented at the OS level

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Sat Mar 19 22:32:00 GMT 2011

On Saturday, March 19, 2011 17:46:18 Edmon Begoli wrote:
> I need help understanding what system calls are used to implement
> mutexes and context switches.

you probably want to google futexes.  drepper wrote some stuff on it too iirc.
try http://people.redhat.com/drepper/

in fact, simply googling for "nptl design" shows some good hits.

> I am interested in knowing specifically how is pthread_mutex_lock and
> unlock implemented and what OS system calls are used for context
> switching (longjmp/setjmp?).

there arent any syscalls used for context switching, and certainly not
setjmp/longjmp.  the threads are handled by the linux kernel.
-mike