Tracing Linux hostname resolution

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Tue Jan 11 16:49:00 GMT 2011

On 1/11/2011 11:04 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Jeff Blaine<jblaine@kickflop.net>  writes:

>>> Don't use the obsolete gethostbyname interface.
>>
>> Andreas,
>>
>> "I" am not.  My trace is of glibc's getent binary.
>
> You are requesting it to use the obsolete gethostbyname interface.

Andreas, your terseness isn't really all that informational,
although I appreciate that someone is replying.

Can you explain how *I* am requesting anything?

I'm running *glibc's getent binary* (from nss/getent.c)
built against glibc.

My control points in that situation are:

    a) my arguments to getent ("hosts www.google.com")
    b) my OS configuration files

Neither of which state "use the obsolete gethostbyname
interface in glibc"