Static libc.a and weak __pthread_unwind symbol problem

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Tue Aug 30 03:33:00 GMT 2011

On Monday, August 29, 2011 23:09:07 Bryan Ischo wrote:
> I tried crosstool-ng; it failed.  I can't remember what the exact error was
> but it was just another in a long string of problems that I experienced.  I
> have read documentation, believe me, lots of documentation.  AND I HAVE A
> WORKING PROCESS.  And that process MAKES SENSE TO ME.  The only point of
> failure right now is for one specific host type, and that's x86_64, and
> from what I have read, this is not an unusual point of failure (you
> yourself said that gentoo maintains patches to make it build correctly in
> your environment).

you incorrectly mixed my statements.  the Gentoo patches i referenced improve
static libs to work in PIC/PIE setups ... they have nothing to do with
bootstrapping a cross-compiler toolchain, nor linking static libs into a
shared lib.

> It is possible that what I am trying to do is invalid (use a static libc.a
> when creating a dynamic libgcc_s.so), but nobody has said that explicitly
> yet

it is wrong and really makes no sense.  you're bleeding glibc symbols (public
and private) into a completely unrelated library.

> I am happy to
> worth through the issues and fix them and to submit whatever improvements
> to the process that I have made either to documentation or to the code, or
> both.

then post patches to address the crosstool-ng failures

> The reason that I said that building glibc shared libraries requires gcc's
> libgcc_s.so is because the dependencies are right there in the Makefiles;
> for example, in the top-level Makeconfig:

because you're missing a patch to make this work.  if you used crosstool-ng,
then it would have taken care of this for you.
-mike