Is there a call to get information from a watch fd (from inotify_watch)?

Stef Bon stefbon@gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:38:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to get write a wrapper for inotify_add_watch, which will
-apart from just calling the syscall,
will inform the eventual filesystem a watch has been set on it.

For filesystems like FUSE, cifs and nfs it would be a big plus to make
them aware a watch has been set on an inode they manage.
So they can take the right action.

I know that in the kernel all the information is available, in the
inode where the watch has been set upon.
It looks a bit double work when writing the wrapper in glibc which
does that over again.
It's about th information the filesystem the watch has been set on,
and the inode,
so I guess the combination (superblock, inode) is sufficient. I'm
looking for something get_inotify_watch_info or something.

Stef