error when installing glibc(builds o.k.)

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock@gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 16:12:00 GMT 2010


On 09/18/2010 07:40 AM, Nix wrote:
> On 3 Sep 2010, Justin Mattock outgrape:
>
>> I seem to be hitting something here(below) Ive built glibc with gcc 4.6.0
>> with glibc git two weeks ago without such an error, pulled this morning,
>> and am now hitting this is this reported at all or do I have something wrong
>
> Does 'make check' work? You should always *always always* run 'make check'
> and make sure that you know why every failure is occurring and that it is
> not problematic for your use.
>

I have not had a look at this since after posting this, due to getting 
patches reviewed and ready for the kernel(non trivial, but somebody had 
to go through the kernel updating all the web addresses..)


>
> btw, the way to install glibc without 'make install' or making a package
> out of it is something like this:
>
> make install_root=/tmp/glibc-install
> cd /tmp/glibc-install/lib # or lib32, or lib64
> mv * /lib

The system I have right now, is a clfs so the above was what I did for 
the initial build of glibc on the host, and then install_root=* glibc 
over to the new system.(the mv * /lib bit I have not tried).

>
> # then possibly point the dynamic loader symlink in /lib at the copy in /lib32
> # or /lib64, using sln(1)
>
> /sbin/ldconfig # possibly --format=new
>
> # only then move or symlink all the rest
>

I noticed so far with ldconfig -v was nss has wrong symlinks to the it's 
libs, i.e. there is an NSS environment variable that does not build nss 
with all the symlinks, just the plain lib itself.(but even after 
resolving that the error above still occurred).

> i.e. *move* it atomically into place using some command that does not
> exec() additional dynamically-linked processes during the move
> process. Nothing else can possibly be reliable. 'make install' tries to
> make this work, but because nobody tests it that way it has a habit of
> rotting.
>

I've been following glibc git, for a while now, and this has really been 
the only issue.. prior too I did fry the system, when I didn't set a 
switch with the build --enable-kernel=2.6.0 but was easily resolved with 
a livecd..

Justin P. Mattock



More information about the Libc-help mailing list