glibc2.3.2, linux 2.4.18, and TLS

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock@gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 20:13:00 GMT 2010


On 01/26/10 08:45, Bryan Williams wrote:
> I'm trying to build a version of glibc 2.3.2 that supports linuxthreads
> and TLS (thread-local storage).  I want to use the resulting library with
> a 2.4.18 Linux kernel.
>
> The configure script has a --with-tls option, but it appears to be a no-op
> -- it sets a variable in the configure script that is never referenced,
> and the libraries that are built apparently contain no tls symbols (for
> example, __tls_get_addr is missing).  I've made some progress by adding
> CFLAGS
> to enable TLS functionality, but I keep running into errors.  On my most
> recent attempt, I had CFLAGS set to '-O2 -DUSE_TLS -DHAVE_TLS_SUPPORT
> -DFLOATING_STACKS', and invoked configure as follows (I'm building in a
> tls subdirectory of the top-level source directory)
>
> ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/tls --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads
> --with-tls AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf
>
> Can anyone tell me whether what I'm attempting should be possible?  The
> code I'm building has a number of patches applied, but it doesn't seem
> practical to list them all.  I'm hoping someone might be able to point me
> to a source RPM or tarball that contains source I should be able to build.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan Williams
> Software Engineer
> IBM
> bdwillia@us.ibm.com
>


hmm.. did you grab just a random snapshot?
i.g. I'm thinking if you did so maybe by chance
tls was patched in only the option part, and then a few weeks
later in time the rest of tls was put in..

over here using the latest git tls went in fine, nss(crypt) failed
only because I need to build the nss stuff for libc.

hope this helps

Justin P. Mattock



More information about the Libc-help mailing list