Allin Cottrell: ld-2.10.1.so

Allin Cottrell cottrell@wfu.edu
Fri May 15 14:19:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009, gabriele balducci wrote:

> > I wonder, can anyone replicate, or explain away (or account for in
> > any way) the segfaults in ld-2.10.1.so that I reported here
> > (libc-help archive, May 13)?
>
> I do not know if this makes sense for you, but I noticed that you built
> with gcc-4.4.0...

Yes, that's right.

> This caused troubles for me with 2.10.1: various programs
> started segfaulting immediately after installation.
>
> After cleaning and rebuilding with gcc-4.2.1 everything was (and
> is still) fine. This on two different (gnu-linux) boxes.

> Actually, the INSTALL file says:
>
>  * GCC 3.4 or newer, GCC 4.1 recommended

Ah, thanks, that may explain it.  But I notice that INSTALL was
last modified 3 years ago (when gcc 4.1 was the latest release).
Can anyone say what the current gcc recommendation is?  I still
have gcc 4.3.3 available on my system and could try rebuilding
with that if it's likely to help.

Allin Cottrell