ld-2.10.1.so

Allin Cottrell cottrell@wfu.edu
Fri May 15 13:35:00 GMT 2009

I wonder, can anyone replicate, or explain away (or account for in
any way) the segfaults in ld-2.10.1.so that I reported here
(libc-help archive, May 13)?

As I mentioned, the segfaults resulted from dereferencing a NULL
value of the pointer variable "dl_random" in the function
_dl_setup_stack_chk_guard (defined in
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-osinfo.h).  And the problem went away
when I manually undef'd __ASSUME_AT_RANDOM, the definition of
which is the trigger for accessing dl_random (in the function
security_init in elf/rtld.c, which includes dl-osinfo.h).

FWIW, I note that in security_init, dl_random is set to NULL after
it is used.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics