confused with compiling latest libc and latest kernel

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Thu Mar 5 00:24:00 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 19:18:50 Justin Mattock wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the info.
> >> I did post, but didn't receive much info.
> >> I'm thinking I need to change my .config
> >> to x86_64(but at the moment waiting to see
> >> if somebody says anything with lkml
> >> before I change things)
> >> then I'll go from there.
> >> As for different kernel's
> >> 2.6.29-rc5-00289-g460c133
> >> is successful. the error is from
> >> the latest git yesterday.
> >
> > imo, it's a bug in unifdef.  it is declaring its own function named
> > "getline" which clashes with the glibc one.  it might depend on the
> > compiler flags used (_GNU_SOURCE or something), but it's still poor taste
> > i think and simpler to just change the name in the code.
> >
> > either way, this should be on lkml
>
> Cool,
> thanks again for the info.
> I'll look into unifdef. and also see
> what lkml says when I get a chance.

the lkml guys tend to be lazy sob's if you dont post a patch :)

in this case, something like `sed -i 's:\<getline\>:get_line:'` on the source
code might be enough.  and then add a comment above the prototype that this
needs to be "get_line" and not "getline" to avoid C library conflicts.
-mike