How do values get into the %gs:0x0 location?

Amittai Aviram amittai.aviram@yale.edu
Wed Aug 26 23:59:00 GMT 2009

PS --

On Aug 26, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Eduardo wrote:

>> In particular, I know that my program has to store pointers to at
>> least three locale-related objects -- _nl_C_LC_CTYPE,
>> _nl_C_LC_MONETARY, and
>> _nl_C_LC_NUMERIC.  So I have a couple of questions about that --
>
> These objects are related to locale specific data, I suppose.

Right.  My program uses printf to print a floating-point number with
the %f format specifier.  (That's actually all it does -- I uncovered
the general bug in my system by noticing that it threw an exception
when trying to print floating-point numbers.)  Glibc uses locale-
specific information in order to decide, for instance, whether to use
a point (.) or a comma (,) to demarcate the fractional part of the
number.

Best wishes,
Amittai

Amittai Aviram