printf more equal than sin?

Holger Blasum holger-r-glibc@blasum.net
Thu Oct 23 16:31:00 GMT 2008

Hello Carlos,

> To use printf you have to link in the C library e.g. -lc, but as a
> convenience the compiler driver (gcc) does it for you.

Thanks, I realize that, as "gcc -v" shows, internally I get "-lc"
for free under gcc but where is it documented which functions of the
standard C library actually are packaged in glibc and which
functions of the standard C library are not? (That's why I am asking
here, I do not consider this question related to gcc, correct me
if that is wrong.)

(For example, if I refer to the current online version of the
GNU C Library Manual, "sin" needing "-lm" resides in chapter 19 of
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libc/index.html
and "printf" needing "-lc" resides in chapter 12. They do not look
different to me. - It's not really an "issue" but just something
I had been unable to give a good explanation for - or is it only
math.h that needs special treatment in glibc by historical
accident?)

Regards,

--
Holger Blasum