autoconf AC_PREREQ ?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Thu Oct 2 20:47:00 GMT 2008

Carlos,
All,

On Thursday 02 October 2008 21:58:48 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > Do you want a patch that renames all configure.in to configure.ac?
> This solution.

OK. That will have to wait at least tomorrow evening (UTC+0200) before I can
seat in front of my keyboard again...

> >> Can you quote the autoconf manual describing the naming of
> >> "configure.ac" scripts?
> > From http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html :
> > 3 Making configure Scripts
> > [--SNIP--]
> > To create a configure script with Autoconf, you need to write an Autoconf
> > input file configure.ac (or configure.in) and run autoconf on it.
> > [--SNIP--]
> Is there a reference anywhere that configure.ac is the right filename
> to use for Autoconf >= some version?

Not a starting point really, but "3.1 Writing configure.ac" says:

--8<--
Previous versions of Autoconf promoted the name configure.in, which is
somewhat ambiguous (the tool needed to process this file is not described by
its extension), and introduces a slight confusion with config.h.in and so on
(for which `.in' means "to be processed by configure"). Using configure.ac
is now preferred.
--8<--

Also, looking at the autoconf-2.13 doc from the tarball, configure.in is used
consistently throughout autoconf.info. Looking at the autoconf-2.50 doc from
the tarball, configure.ac is used consistently throughout doc/autoconf.info.

Because we AC_PREREQ(2.53), we can safely use configure.ac.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |