inlining failed

Dominik Táborský bremby@seznam.cz
Sat Nov 29 15:54:00 GMT 2008

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, since I wasn't able to google the
answer. I'm sorry in that case.

I have been trying to build Glibc 2.8.90 (20080505) and 2.9 (from
tarball, thanks Brett! ) for a few days now, trying to figure out the
compiler settings, mainly. I have overcome many problems, but I got
stuck on this, and can't move on:

../misc/syslog.c: In function ‘__vsyslog_chk’:
../misc/syslog.c:123: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to
‘syslog’: function body not available
../misc/syslog.c:155: sorry, unimplemented: called from here

My system is Ubuntu 8.10 with latest updates, gcc 4.3.2, CFLAGS se to
-O2 -mtune=i586 -funit-at-a-time.

I think the -fno-stack-protector is also needed to compile glibc, but so
far, no matter how hard I've tried, how long I have been googling this,
I just can't get it compiled...

Anyone's got ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Dominik Taborsky

PS: If you don't know answer to that, please, can you tell me why I
can't compile glibc from CVS? It tells me the crypt add-on is old, but
what to do about that?