Determining cancellation points in glibc

Loic Domaigne tech@domaigne.com
Tue Nov 25 20:47:00 GMT 2008

Hi Carlos,

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Loic Domaigne <tech@domaigne.com> wrote:
>> I came to similar conclusions. But what about composite functions like
>> printf(), scanf() etc.?
>
> Good point.
>
> 5. Any C code contains a cancellation point if it calls functions from
> 1-4 which contains a cancellation point.

I was afraid of that...

As you may know, POSIX defines two list: mandatory and optional
cancellation points (CP). The problem that we have: we need to document
if a particular functions in the "optional list" is CP or not. This will
be a hell of work to figure this out.

The next issue I see: POSIX states that the no other functions except
the ones listed in the mandatory and optional list may be CP. So a
natural question arise: how does the Glibc folks enforce this? Through
code review? Other means, like compiler flags etc. ?

Thanks & Regards,
LD