Building glibc from CVS on x86 Ubuntu Hardy

Reuben Thomas rrt@sc3d.org
Sat May 3 11:44:00 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Ryan S. Arnold wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 23:39 +0100, Reuben Thomas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just made an anon checkout of glibc and when I try to build it with
>>
>> ../glibc/configure --prefix=/home/rrt/local
>> make
>
> Rueben, your configure statement is inadequate.  I recently built cvs
> head on ubuntu so try this:
>
> CC='gcc -m32 -march=i486' \
> CXX='gcc -m32 -march=i486' \
> CFLAGS='-O2 -g -fno-stack-protector' \
> ../glibc/configure \
> --prefix="/home/rrt/local/" \
> --with-tls \
> --enable-add-ons=nptl  \
> --with-__thread \
> --enable-shared \
> --without-cvs \
>> _configure 2>&1

Thanks, that works fine. Where should I have discovered that this is what I
needed to do? As far as I could tell from INSTALL, I should have been able
to use the simple line that I used. Or is this a problem with building on
Ubuntu?

> Try it without the -fno-stack-protector too to see if that works.

That doesn't work. Why not? I see it says "Checking for -fstack-protector"
while configuring. Is it because the Ubuntu compiler switches this on by
default and the libc configure doesn't know to turn it off?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | wet nurse, n.  lactating lackey