Need Help building glibc with NPTL support for ARM Linux 2.4.20

Carlos O'Donell carlos@systemhalted.org
Tue Jun 3 12:51:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Andrew Chalmers <achalmers@ellex.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Are you sure NPTL requires linux-2.6? I've seem numerous reference on the
> net to NPTL under linux 2.4. My understanding is that 2.4.18 or 2.4.20
> onwards includes the necessary features to support NPTL. But I cannot find
> any confirmation of this anywhere.

You need 2.6.16 at a minimum.

CodeSourcery has documented the key requirements here:
"ARM Linux Kernel Versions for Sourcery G++ 4.1/4.2"
https://support.codesourcery.com/GNUToolchain/kbentry22

> Will I have any more luck building the tool chain with 2.6 headers anyway?

Yes.

> Which versions should I use?

As high a version of kernel headers as possible. This allows glibc to
make use of newer features at run-time.

> I've seen it written that you can build glibc against a newer version of the
> kernel headers than the target kernel. Would that work if you build against
> 2.6 headers and run 2.4.20 on the target? (My gut feel is that something is
> bound to break.)

The 2.4 kernel is still not new enough to provide all the support
required for NPTL.

> Is there a NPTL support page that works? The link form the various copies of
> the original NPTL announcement on the net, all give me a unresponsive Redhat
> page.

What do you mean by "support page?" NPTL is part of glbic. This is the
authoritative mailing list :-) You need a new kernel.