inlining failed

Nix nix@esperi.org.uk
Thu Dec 4 01:03:00 GMT 2008

On 29 Nov 2008, Carlos O'Donell spake thusly:
> Your patch has a lot of problems, but I like the idea.
>
> Issues:
> 1. There should be a configure switch to enable the use of libssp with glibc.
> 2. Conditionalize or use a variable to represent -lssp should be used.
> 3. Use lib_cv_ssp which is checked?

All done, I think: in bz as #7065. See what you think.

#7066 covers the buffer overrun.

In his typical utterly charmless fashion Ulrich WONTFIXed it with a
blunt one-liner before I even had time to attach the patch. I don't care
what Ulrich thinks of it, really, as far as I can tell he hates
everything.

Perhaps some distros will be interested in it.

>> (I also assumed that every distro out there had probably done something
>> like this, until I checked and found that a lot of them just force off
>> stack protection for all of libc. Since only ld.so is really allergic to
>> it, this is excessive.)
>
> Development gets done whenever and wherever a developer submits a patch :-)

And it never gets upstreamed because to a first approximation Ulrich
always says no to everything? As far as I can tell the glibc that
distros actually use has so many (shared) patches attached that it may
as well be considered a semi-fork, which is rather sad really. (Debian
has around 180 patches right now, for instance.)

>>> Could you also submit this to eglibc? Embedded targets could make good
>>> use of this.
>>> (patches@eglibc.org http://www.eglibc.org/mailing_lists)
>>
>> I'll attach/submit once I've updated the patch to 2.9, probably
>> tomorrow.
>
> Thanks!

I tested it to death first (test results attached to the bug as well).

> Thanks again.

You're welcome :)