RMS is at it again

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Thu Jun 29 08:11:00 GMT 2000


On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 10:26:57AM +0200, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, Jun 29, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> 
> > 
> > IMHO a steering committee wouldn't make sense for a project with the
> > number of people actively contributing that we have now.  
> 
> I'm not sure what I should think about an steering comittee for glibc. 
> There are a lot of pros and contras.
> 
> But we should really think about why there are so few people actively
> contributing. There where some people in the past who was willing
> to work for glibc, and there where some firms who were willing to
> pay developers. Why haven't they done it ?

Working on glibc is not easy. To some extent, it may be even harder
than gcc since you have to install/reboot your machine to make sure
everything is ok. You may wind up with an unusable machine if you make
a mistake. I'd like to see more people get involved. I don't think a
steering comittee will do that.

I do have 2 complaints:

1. The release schedule is too slow. No one can use the public release
if they want to get a working glibc. They have to go to CVS. It doesn't
have to be that way. I'd like to see someone work on the glibc 2.1
branch to make more public releases. A steering comittee may help on
that.
2. Patches took a long time to get checked in. It is getting better
in the last few weeks. But I don't know if it will happen again.


H.J.


More information about the Libc-hacker mailing list